Make this chocolate croissant's recipe Chef Mike Darracott
20 g bread yeast from the super market 620g strong bread flour, plus a little extra for dusting
1 tsp of salt 73g caster sugar 495g butter 1 medium egg, beaten for use as egg wash, or use a little milk 140g chocolate chips ( place in deep freeze in a bag until needed )
First we preheat our oven to 200c - 400f - gas mark 6 and then grease or ine a baking tray with grease proof paper.
(1) Mix the yeast with a 5 ml of warm water.
(2) Now into a large bowl place the flour, salt and sugar, and then add the yeast mixture.
(3) Next add enough warm water until the dough becomes pliable.
(4) Now we lightly dust a work top with flour, and then knead dough for 8 to 12 minutes until it feels elastic like, now place in fridge for an hour.
(5) Take out of fridge, roll into a rectangle, and then spread a third of the butter onto it, then fold the top third of the dough into centre and fold the bottom third up and then place in fridge for another hour.
(6) Take out the dough out of the fridge, now repeat as before, and place in fridge for another hour.
(7) Repeat above again then place in fridge, then this time wrap in cling film and leave over night in fridge 12 hours.
(8) Now we roll out the dough to 3mm thick, and cut it up into 13cm rectangles, take each rectangle and as you roll each up to make your croissant shape place along each some of the frozen chocolate chips, as you roll, and stud a few chocolate chips on the top of the finished croissant.
(9) Next brush with your egg wash or milk, place on baking tray. And leave them to rise for about two hours in the kitchen.
(10) Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 14 croissants
Serves 4 people